GREAT LAKES KAYAK FISHING SERIES
GLKFS RULES & REGULATIONS
We are allowing the use of electric motors for our events. Please click the link below to read KBF standard rules for a complete breakdown of rules and regulations.
KBF COMPETITION RULES STANDARDS
THE EXCEPTIONS AND MODIFICATIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS.
The minimum length is changed from 12 inches to 8 inches. May be different for partner events.
We use TourneyX for our Tournament Management System for all Bass events. Anyone who wishes to participate in our Bass events will need to create a free profile to register and compete via TourneyX.
No Membership is required to compete in our series, however, if you receive a qualifying slot for the KBF National Championship, you will need to become a KBF Member. If you want to compete for AOY points, you will need to buy in for $60.00 before the cutoff date (prior to 2nd event of season).
AOY Points are awarded based on final event placement of GLKFS AOY enrolled anglers. Anglers will earn 100 points for 1st, 95 for 2nd, 90 for 3rd, and so on down to 45 points. All anglers will earn a minimum of 45 points per an event. Anglers will drop lowest finish of the season. A missed event will count as lowest finish. Club Championship is a two-day event and anglers will earn 1.5x points for that event; 150 for 1st, 142.5 for 2nd, 135 for 3rd, and so on down to minimum of 67.5 points.
Competitor Right to Cancel - A participant who wishes to cancel a GLKFS event must do so at least 12 hours in advance of the start time of an event. No refunds will be provided once the deadline time has passed.
Pre-tournament check-in: No pre-tournament checks will be happening for our 2023 season except the salmon tournament. Captains' videos will be released on Facebook prior to each event. Anglers are recommended to watch videos prior to the event.
Identifier: Participants must print and use the identifier which will be made available through Facebook prior to start of the season. The special code to put in the code box will be released on the day of the tournament. KBF Identifiers are not acceptable. No identifier will be needed for the salmon tournament.
Registration cut-off: Registering for a tournament will be available online through TourneyX.
Anglers may only access eligible waters using public launches. Private residences or launches are not eligible for GLKFS events. Angler must cover applicable launch fees.
Anglers must arrive on time for post-event check-in. Anglers must check in with a tournament director. Anglers arriving 0:01- 5:00 minutes late will incur a 1" deduction, 5:01 - 10:00 mins incur a 2" deduction, and 10:01 - 15:00 mins incur a 3" deduction. Anglers arriving later after 15:01 will be considered disqualified. Anglers may choose to leave early, or if experiencing unforeseeable circumstances impacting their ability to arrive on time, should contact Nick at 920-205-0968, or use Facebook messenger to contact tournament directors.
GLKFS will not enforce the KBF video release requirements.
Pre-fishing is allowed per KBF standards. GLKFS pre-fishing cutoff time is 8pm the evening prior to event start. Anglers should be off the water after 8pm.
KBF Rules we would like to highlight for participant consideration:
Acceptable measuring boards include the Ketch Co Measuring Board. NO OTHER MEASURING BOARDS ARE ALLOWED. Metal or Karbonlite Ketch boards are acceptable.
Only ONE casting, spin-casting, spinning, or fly rod and reel may be in use at any one time. A rod and reel are considered to be “in use” when a lure attached to it by a line is in or on the water. A hung lure (one snagged in an overhanging tree) that is not in or on the water is not considered in use and the attached rod and reel may be set aside while another is in use.
Rule Amendments for Salmon tournament
1. State Licenses– All participants must possess a Great Lake Salmon/Trout Stamp in addition to the Wisconsin Fishing License.
2. Registration – Registration will be available on TourneyX and the morning of the tournament at Manitowoc Marina. Pre-established registration time will be announced on our website & Facebook page.
3. Required Equipment - All participants are required to have a working GMRF/VHF radio.
4. Trolling/Fishing: Participants can have a maximum of 3 lines in use at any one time. Trolling is allowed using artificial lures only.
5. Token/Identifier – No token/identifier will be needed for this event. Each angler will have their fish measured by tournament directors who may use the assistance of the WI DNR for length verification if available.
6. Scoring/Culling - Once a fish is in your possession (on a stringer, cooler, on a rope, etc) it CANNOT be released. If a fish is not going to be kept to measure it must be IMMEDIATELY released. If you have caught 4 fish and want to Cull your 5th fish in hopes of a larger one, you may do this only if that fish is still alive and has not been in your possession for any length of time yet. A max of 5 fish can be caught, but only 3 fish will be used for scoring.
7. Safety - Safe boating and participation will be observed at all times. During the competition, each participant is required to comply with all state boating and fishing laws. Anglers must wear a PFD at all times during each event. It is the responsibility of each participant to know and understand their own personal safety. If at any time the Tournament Directors feel that a participant is not being safe, does not have proper apparel or gear, or is exhibiting unsafe behavior or activity, they have the right to remove that participant from the tournament. Tournament directors may also limit fishable waters during tournament fishing hours if weather poses a safety risk to anglers.